Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Beautiful Sounds Never Forgotten


I was sitting here tonight waiting to check my email and do my daily blog catching up and I heard it.... complete silence. At that moment I felt a little sadness come over me. Sad you see because at that moment I realized there were sounds I was missing.
Those sounds were the amazing sounds of Haiti. You see every night while I was there, and after I had tucked in Katouche and prayed with him, I would journey to the roof of St Joseph and I would lay there on the roof and submerce myself in the brilliance of Gods stary night and just listen. Listen to the sounds of the Haitian people laughing as they sat in the darkness of the night and played games on their roof tops. Listen to others blast music of their culture from battery operated radios as they too laugh and enjoy the time with friends. Listen to dogs bark, roosters crow, children play. These were some of the most wonderful sounds I have ever heard, and tonight in the silence of my room...I miss those sounds.
I also miss the sound of a little voice at 6:00 AM saying "Papa", and hearing him beckon me with "Come on papa" as he takes my hand and wants to lead me on another Jonas adventure.
I miss the way that little hand fits perfectly in mine.
I miss those big brown eyes and the mischievous little smile, and the way his little arms fit just perfectly around my neck when I carry him,
and I miss how completely at peace he is when we just ARE.
Isn't it cool to just BE!?

4 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

yay for being papa jonas!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

Jonas is a Blessed little boy for sure!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Ohh babe... how I could see and hear all of it with your description! I too liked how his hand fit into mine.

I miss him. sigh.

Do you think God could give us another miracle with a trip for me to go soon?

I hope so. I really miss our little boy.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Me too, Todd! I miss everything about Haiti. I bet you never thought you would love going to a third world country did you?

Yeah, me either!!

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home